9 Key Questions to Hire a DJ
So, you have a date, booked the ceremony and reception venues and now it is time to find the perfect DJ. This is a place where you really want to do your homework and it can be time consuming but is so important.
Where to start:
Think of weddings and events where you loved the music. Your own observations and testimonials from people you know and trust provide the best place to start. Now you have a list of no more than 6 DJs to evaluate.
Before asking about cost, you will want to do a deep dive to understand:
1. Who the company is and how they conduct business.
2. What their performances look and sound like.
3. What a are all of the options.
4. What their reputation says about them online and through referrals and testimonials.
Before asking any questions, be sure to explain the venue(s) and your expectations to the DJ. Will they provide music for the ceremony, cocktail hour and dancing or just a portion? Their services and equipment might vary significantly especially if it is multiple locations, a farm vs. a small club house.
Key questions to ask are:
1. Tell me about your experience.
2. Is your company a real, legal business (or are you a hobbyist)?
3. Overall, what can we expect on the day of the event? Walk me through start to finish?
4. What is included in your services? Are you the MC for the day? Do you provide; up lights, spot lights, photo booth, A/V equipment, dance floor, speakers etc..
5. Do you use professional equipment and do you have back up equipment including computers, mixers and microphones?
6. How do you dress for events?
7. What kinds of music do you specialize in? (Of course, they will say everything, but a reputable company will be able to tell you about the styles of music they play.)
8. What are the logistical needs for your setup, how much time, space and electricity? This can be especially important for a home or barn wedding as a generator might be needed and if so, who is providing that?
9. What is the process once we book with you?
These are just a few of the questions to ask before hiring a DJ. It is important for you and the DJ to agree on expectations before the agreement is signed.
It can take a lot of time and energy to gather a list of 2 DJs which are worth serious consideration. Perfect Events by Jan can help you find the perfect DJ for your wedding or event.
Happiness and joy,
Let's talk about your perfect wedding.
Contact us: 630-689-8749